Course Migration Request Form
Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT) provides assistance to faculty with migrating their online and hybrid courses from eCollege, Sakai, Moodle, and Blackboard Learning Management Systems (LMS) to Canvas.
Our division currently supports 4 Learning Management Systems (Canvas, Sakai, Moodle and eCollege). It's highly recommended for all eCollege instructors to have their courses migrated soon as the system will not be accessible to faculty and students starting June 1, 2018. It is in your and your students' best interest that you teach on a different platform as early as January 2018. With our help, many faculty have already transitioned their courses to a new learning management system that they prefer.
To get started, please complete and submit this online form.
The migration process will ONLY migrate your course content but will NOT affect your current course in whatever LMS you are currently teaching. You will have time to explore the features in the new system and finalize your migrated content before teaching in it.
If you have multiple sections of the same course, submit the request for the one with the most updated content.
Another option for you to move is to contact the help desk (rutgersonline.desk.com) to request a template course shell in the LMS you desire, and start building the course site at your own pace. Our team of instructional designers are available if you need any assistance with course design and development.
Course Migration Process
1. Migration Request Submitted via Online Form
Requestor receives pop-up confirmation of their form submission.
2. Information Collected From Online Form
- The migration from eCollege, Sakai, Moodle, or Blackboard to Canvas is done manually by TLT staff.
- The time to conduct a manual migration varies; hence, an exact timeframe for completion cannot be provided but please allow 6 to 8 weeks.
3. Migration Process
- A copy of the course is created so that the original is not disturbed.
- Course documents, assignments, assessments, questions pools, embedded videos and structure are transferred from the copied course to a temporary course shell in the NEW LMS; also known as the “template site”.
- If any content could not be replicated in the new system, it is notated within an “issue tracker”.
4. White Glove Process Begins
- Instructional designers (ID) from TLT review the template to ensure all content has been migrated over.
- IDs may make notations about the course structure and make suggestions for improvement when necessary.
5. Course Handoff
- The ID will email the instructor informing them of the completed migration.
- The email will contain a summary of any issues encountered during migration, any areas for improvement, an invitation to meet with the ID to go over the course together, and instructions on how to request a live course shell.
- PLEASE NOTE: The migrated course content is in a temporary course shell. The instructor MUST request a live course shell and import the content from the temporary shell.
Still have questions?
Please contact Bernadette M. Power, Senior Program Coordinator, Email: email@example.com